Monday, June 29, 2009

Rachel Update

I know that I haven't posted lately but the last 2 weeks have been crazy! I have lots of stuff to post but tonight I'm just going to make this one entry. Rach had an MRI on the 10th so I feel like I need to post that information first.

Her scans looked the same as they always do- we hope! They had trouble getting the dye in her body because her port-a-cath (the needle port that was surgically placed in her for IVs & blood draws) has become disconnected. They think that they got enough dye in her to see if there was anything new and there didn't appear to be. The bad news is that she has to have surgery on the 2nd to fix the port. It's an outpatient one so it shouldn't be too bad for her.

We have also finally been put on the schedule for radiation in October at MD Anderson. Rachel will be receiving proton radiation in Houston for 6-7 weeks starting then. We will have to stay in Houston for the entire time because the treatments are M-F every morning. We're doing this treatment in Houston because it's the best form of radiation available for her and we can't get it here. We pushed very hard to get her the proton beam instead of the x-ray beam and if you read up on it I think you'll agree we made the right choice even if we have to travel to get it for her! I have attached some links on the side of the blog about it if you are curious. The video link is an explanantion from kids for kids on what to expect but it's pretty informative about what Rach will go through. She will be put to sleep for every one of her treatments because it's impossible for a 2 year old to be still for 20 minutes!

We're both excited and nervous about this treatment. We're excited because we are ready for a break from chemo. Rachel has been more tired and much more sick lately. She even threw up all over the pew in church yesterday! (That was definitely one of our most embarrassing moments) This is also the only chance we have at curing her so that definitely makes us nervous! So far she has responded well to treatment but the doctors have no idea how this will go- Rach is just a big puzzle to them but they feel like her odds are good! We're praying for the best and we're very hopeful that it will work.

PS- I don't know why the comments section was disabled for the blog but I fixed it. You should be able to leave comments if you want to and we always love getting them.

7 comments:

  1. Very informative Amy! I am so excited for this next step. I will not miss chemo! I will be in Houston as much as possible with ya'll... this is so cool and I am so glad she has the opportunity for this. Can't wait until she is cancer free. Give Rach a big kiss for me before surgery tomorrow. I am hoping to get off work early so I can come see her. Love ya'll lots!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel
    Our mom told us about your next treatment and we think it sounds better than you feeling sick all the time. We don't like to see you crying but we are used to the throw up. We will miss you while you are in Houston but we will try to come play with you. We love you very much!
    Cade and Callie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    I am Pat Jost's sister. We met you Christmas 2007 at Penny and Malford's house. Pat was keeping Mother while Paul and I celebrated our anniversary in San Antonio. I have kept up with Rachel here and there mostly through Pat. She told me a few days back that you all were going to MDA for proton therapy. Is Dr. Lee her physician there by chance? Paul starts proton therapy at MDA July 22 (his simulation is July 16) for prostate cancer, a much easier problem to fix than Rachel's. But in all things God is in control and we will pray that the proton therapy is the absolutely perfect fit for her. Looking forward to good reports.
    Blessings to yu all,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you guys and am praying everything goes well. Stay strong rachel! See ya soon. Love,
    Jenny & Joey

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you guys and am praying everything goes well. Stay strong rachel! See ya soon. Love,
    Jenny & Joey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Guys!

    It's been a while! Loved catching up on all of the pictures! The girls look awesome - love my sisters glasses! She's getting a little more like Ang in her old age!

    We too are anxious and hopeful for the radiation treatment. We all know that she's in God's hands and pray that we get to enjoy that gorgeous smile for years and years and years!

    Love and miss you all!

    Aunt Nancy, Uncle Chuck, Jake, Makenzie and Aspen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy, I will be keeping Rachel in my prayers. I am so glad she is astounding the doctors! christa

    ReplyDelete