Monday, November 16, 2009

We're Home- YEAH!

I have lots of pictures to post but I'm having trouble doing that tonight. The video I have of the last day doesn't seem to want to load so I'm working on it. Rachel's last day was Thursday. It was both an exciting and sad day. It was sad because we got to know some great people at the Proton Center and it was hard to say goodbye to them. But mostly it was overwhelming. We've been waiting for this for so long it doesn't seem real. Rachel first started showing signs something was wrong in Oct. 2007 so this is pretty much all we've known for 2 years. Today was the first day back at the house and it felt so weird to not have anywhere to go. It's finally getting cold.:) We just hung out at the house and enjoyed the weather. The girls are so excited to be home. Rach is slowly getting some energy back. She's still having rough nights and we're hoping that will pass soon. I miss getting a good night's sleep! I think she does too. She is done with everything so her hair should come back pretty quickly and we're expecting to see a burst of energy. I have big plans for finally trying potty training before the year is over and we have to tackle eating. There's not a manual that we can read on how to wean her off of the feeding tube. I know it's going to take time and lots of patience. As of right now, Rach will nibble here and there but mostly loves condiments- we have a long way to go!! I'm just going to have to keep reminding myself that the G-Tube was necessary to get her to this point and it's worth the trouble it's going to cause us now. So far, Rachel is still waiting for us to take her to another appt. She told me yesterday she needed cream on her port before we left for the store. I told her she wasn't going to be getting poked so she didn't need to numb her port. We laughed about it but it's pretty sad that she's so used to it that she tells us to do it. :( So glad it's all behind us!! I promise I'll post the pics from her last day up tomorrow but for now I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure how I came upon your blog, but I've been following it for a few weeks. I am so happy to hear that Rachel has completed her treatment. I pray for her every night, and I hope this will be the end of her battle with cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment. We're really hoping she's done with cancer too!

    ReplyDelete