Sunday, March 30, 2008

MRI Results




We finally got to do an MRI on Rach this past week. We did not get the news that we were hoping and praying for. Rachel's cancer is still slowly growing which means that the chemo has not stopped it. Our main goal for chemo in the first place was to at least stop the cancer from growing until she is old enough to receive radiation treatment at 3. We have more chemo options that we are considering. All of them are harsher drugs than before but they will hit the cancer from a different angle. Rachel's cancer, PNET, is not curable with chemo alone but the chemo can effectively control the cancer and will help when radiation is received. The problem with chemo in dealing with brain cancer is that the brain has a blood barrier that protects it from foreign substances- that does not work in her favor! We knew that this is going to be a fight but we had hoped that we were at least on the right track. As long as Rachel can tolerate chemo we will keep trying. So far, she has handled it well for a kid her size. She is definitely a fighter and is very stubborn and we hope that she continues to be. Those character traits are what she needs to get through this! She has not shown regression in development so we are hoping that means the growth is small. She is getting a feeding tube on Tuesday. We chose to do this because Rachel has been weakened by her lack of appetite and she is extremely thin. We want her to be strong and the only way for her to gain weight is for us to intervene. She will be in the hospital this week, and depending on which treatment we do from here, should get more chemo within the next week as well. She will also have a kidney test on Monday. This week will be a hard one for her so please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

5 comments:

  1. If she is anything like both of her parents she is a fighter and will beat this. Our prayers are with you and your family.

    Jordan Goodyear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Jost Family,
    My name is Nicole Reininger. I worked with Malford for over 7 years. Please know you’re in my thoughts and prayers. I say a daily Rosary and this week the intent will be solely for Rachel. I would also like to ask if I may add her to our prayer group at St Ferdinand’s Catholic Church in Blanco. Mom, Dad, and Grandparents please take care of yourselves and I will be praying for your strength as well.

    Love Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are praying for your little Rachael. I agree with Jordan that Amy will be a little fighter.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry I messed up on last comment I mean Rachael will be a little fighter! I know you will be too Amy if you are Roger's girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, this is Bo Mendez and I represent a philanthropic organization called the Archangel Foundation, we met at the Student Council event for Canyon High School, and I had mentioned possibly donating to Rachel's cause. I have made all the arrangements, and was just wondering how we could get in touch so I could complete the process. Please give me a call or email me about this whenever possible at (210) 213-1557, bo.mendez@yahoo.com. We look forward to being able to help your family.

    ReplyDelete