Thursday, May 20, 2010

Relay for Life

This year's relay was a different experience for us. My mom and her youth group did a lot of the fundraising- they did an amazing job! We made silver again which means that we raised over $2500! My family attended the event at various times and Michael and I were there for part of it. We chose not to attend the beginning of the event because it is very emotional. They always have a survivor lap that was hard for me when Rachel was alive but I didn't think I could watch it this year. Michael and I showed up to the event after they lit the luminarias and Rachel's name was on the screen listing people who had passed from cancer. We walked around the track after and the luminarias were glowing. Some children came around to blow them out and for whatever reason they forgot Rachel's. When we walked back by after the luminarias were blown out Rachel's was the only one lit. It brought tears to our eyes and it really made me feel like she was there! I am so thankful that we got to be there for that. Cancer research is still very important to us and by participating in relay we were able to honor her memory in a constructive way.


Thanks Jenny & Amber for coming to walk with me



1 comment:

  1. Rachel was keeping it lit for sure! I am sorry I didn't get on here sooner to donate but always do donate for cancer in her name around here. christa

    ReplyDelete