Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Allison's Birthmark



I haven't written anything about Allison's birthmark but I feel like it's something that we should share about. When she was born, it looked like she had bruises on her back and on her side. Turns out they are just large birthmarks. They were not in the shape of a butterfly at birth, but it quickly developed into one. It's pretty heart warming to see it because we like to think of it as a kiss from Rachel. :) It's bizarre that it took that form so it really makes you wonder.

However much we love the mark it still brings much concern. The doctor mentioned when she was born that sometimes these kinds of birthmarks mean other things are wrong. Could be in the liver, heart, or just cardiovasculary. It was very alarming for me to hear that so I have been thorough on getting the birthmark watched by doctors. She has been to a pediatric dermatologist twice now so that she can watch it carefully for changes. Allison had an ultrasound on her organs in February to make sure they were fine. So far everything looks good. The dr. has debated if the marks are port wine or hemangiomas. I was hoping for hemangiomas because they go away on their own and port wine marks grow with her. Right now the dr. thinks that they are port wine and that they won't go away on their own. The marks are harmless but Allison will probably want them removed when she's older. We're going to let her decide what to do about it when she's old enough to decide. I'm just very thankful that she seems to be doing great so far!!

2 comments:

  1. Wren had a hemangioma on her eye as an infant, there was talk of having to use interferon, it was scary! It would grow with her growth spurts, but eventually went away altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a birthmark almost exactly like this on my back also. I'm 19 years old now and have never had any problems out of it. I actually think it looks pretty cool. I've always wondered if anyone else had a birthmark similar to mine. Kind of neat to know that someone does :)

    ReplyDelete