Thursday, January 7, 2010

First Update of 2010

I know that I haven't written in a while but it has been very crazy! Rachel started to have problems right before Xmas. She still has trouble using her right side. Her hand just hangs there and she's having some trouble walking on the right side. She also had a staph infection last week in her port. She was in the hospital for one night because she had to get some IV antibiotics. They let us come home and finish the IV drugs at home for the next 6 days. I became nurse mommy once again and have decided that I'm putting RN behind my name! I had to mix the drugs and hook her up each time. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't very difficult and it totally beat being in the hospital!! She has successfully gotten rid of the infection. It took us 5 clinic visits and spending 12/26 in the ER to figure out the problem in the first place!

She had a MRI today and we got news that we weren't expecting or wanting. We were hoping that it was just inflammation from the radiation that's been causing problems but it turns out that there is still some growth in her brain. The radiation seems to have taken care of her spine but not the cells in her brain. We are looking into our next options. We are going to do something. maybe radiation or chemo, doctor here leaning toward chemo. We have to talk to Houston and see what our options are. We will probably be going there for the next phase. We shouldn't have to stay there, just go back and forth- yeah! :( Needless to say, hasn't been a god day and we're pretty bummed. We still need to talk to the doctors at MD Anderson to get their take so I will try and post again soon when we hear something.

We have decided to move up Rachel's Make A Wish trip to Disney. They don't want us to wait at the clinic so we have moved it to the week of the 18th. Not much time to get ready but really looking forward to having an awesome time. :) I have some cute pics from Christmas, even though Rach laid on the couch the whole day, and I will post them later. I just haven't had much of a chance to be on the computer lately and the hospital blocked blogs-argh!

1 comment:

  1. Amy and Mike I am so sorry to hear this. I will be praying over and over for Rachel. love you and Rachel. christa

    ReplyDelete